Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Answering Sabahan stereotype by them [you]...

Guong

Stereotype. Everyone do it. When I was still a little kid, I thought that West Malaysian were very develop with tall buildings, big road, technology savvy etc. I thought that the community there were very united. Well, that was what they kept showing back then (until now) in the TV, textbooks, magazines and those patriotic songs. That was my stereotype towards them [you].

In a nut shell, I look highly on them [you].

But, these childhood image of mine slowly fade as I grow up. But, that is another topic. What I want to write about is their [your] stereotype about us Sabahan.

- Do you still live up a tree?
This was the most popular and ancient stereotype by them [you] and surprisingly, in this day of ages, I still get asked with this question. And I laugh every time.

- Do you hunt for food?
Well, duh..Yeah we sometime hunt for food. In the supermarket or Tamu. And we do go hunting for wild boar occasionally using sumpit. And no, sumpit doesn't exist in Sarawak only.

- Sabahan girls are 'slutty' and easy to 'get'.
What?! Where on earth did they [you] get this idea from? This piss me off. The answer is NO. It's a myth. This is due to the friendly nature of us Sabahan. And I'm not a girl so I know when it comes to flirting with Sabahan girls.

- Sabahan are full of corrupt people.
Now, how do you gauge the corruptness of people? Ok, this is a very well-known stereotype even among Sabahan ourself. So well-known it sounded like a real fact. But is it? How many are those who were caught were actually Sabahan? Any statistic? I've tried googling it and I can't find any. Even Lim Kit Siang say so but is it true or is it just for his political gain?

Ok, there were Sabahan ministers busted for corruption such as Tan Sri Kasitah Gaddam (wonder if he's still a Tan Sri..) and also Datuk Osu Sukam for his infamous gambling debt. And recently, an Umno member Datuk Japli from my hometown Kota Belud was suspended (only) from Umno due to 'money politic'. But what about the 'others'?

It seems this stereotype is just another mean for them [you] to find a 'black sheep' to blame and hide their [your] own corruptness.

- Most Sabahan are illiterate meaning most of them are stupid. That's why they vote BN.
What? Hello, illiterate doesn't mean stupid, stupid [you]. We still know how to differentiate right from wrong. e.g: We don't do racist act. And political party is just political party. I don't give a damn which party as long as it help the rakyat. And I know BN is sucking Sabah but what does the opposition plan for Sabah if they win in Sabah. I mean, Anwar is a very well-known figure in Sabah since he was the one responsible in orchestrating the first ever huge defection in Malaysia thus paving way for Umno/BN along with its racist political agenda to enter Sabah. Beside, most of them [you] are more interested in dethroning Umno/BN rather than really helping us.

And I'm not supporting Umno/BN, PR or any West Malaysian base party. Why? The answer is in my previous post.

- Sabahan are poor people.
Poor? In what term? Material? Ok, most Sabahan are called poor not because we don't have any assets. We actually have our own land but due to the poor development in Sabah, these lands doesn't worth much and cannot show its true potential. And we use our land mostly for agriculture purpose. How much can you get? Not much but some of us are actually food sufficient. So yes, we are poor if cars, money in the bank, house and our outer appearance were to be used as a gauge. But in truth, we are not poor at all.

And the illegal immigrants who became legal also contribute to the statistic of poverty in Sabah. These people have nothing. They came poor, got a Mykad (backdoor method), and stay poor for a while, but long enough to be listed in the poverty list.

There are still a lot of stereotype about us but that's it for now. Oh, and some new stereotype about West Malaysian [you] by us Sabahan are emerging as well. What stereotype? Like I wrote earlier, that's another topic..

p/s: them and [you] only applies to the ignorant one..for those who are not, please don't get offended. If you do, I'm sorry.

1 comment:

guong said...

gallivanter,
Hmm..well, everyone does it (stereotyping). Even Sabahan.

Well, ignoring doesn't really solve anything does it..I just hope all this stereotype or prejudice or whatever just 'poof'.